It comes as no surprise really that Samsung have announced that ‘The Next Galaxy‘ or The Galaxy S3 will have a quad-core processor. After the recent release of the HTC One X, it seemed like a no-brainer move for Samsung,who do need to pull something amazing out of the bag with the ‘Next Galaxy’ to knock the smartphone crown from the One X.
Here’s what Samsung have to say about the Exynos 4 Quad-core processor:
“The quad-core processor offers phenomenal multitasking abilities surpassing any single or dual application processor…….Given the diverse functionalities consumers are demanding from their mobile devices today, the Exynos 4 Quad meets those high-performance needs while keeping power consumption very low.”
In technical terms, the Exynos 4 Quad chip will run 1.4GHz per core and is based on the ARM Cortex A9. It’ll be pin-to-pin compatible and fully capable of full 30fps, 1080p video playback, plus has an interface for HDMI 1.4. Samsung are claiming that this chip will offer double the processor power of its predecessor whilst drawing 20 percent less power.
What else do we know about ‘The Galaxy S3′ though?
- Well the official event to launch the Next Galaxy, thought to be the S3 is on the 3rd May at 7pm UK time
- Leaked casing images set rumours alight of a larger menu button and the swapping of position of the multitasking and back buttons. This is rumoured to help TouchWiz and Ice Cream Sandwich work better together
- There’s rumours of a larger screen, bringing the diagonal size to 4.6″, complete with a 1080p resolution and possibly a Super AMOLED Plus HD screen
- A 12MP camera is rumoured too and would be a nice upgrade from the 8MP S2 camera.
- Droid-Den report rumours of a thinner device than the S2 and wireless charging capabilities too, which would be really cool.